Zelda Buitendag - Clinical Psychologist
Mrs. Buitendag graduated from University of Limpopo in 2006 with a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology.
She is employed by the Department of Health and Social Development as a Clinical Psychologist and is based
at the Polokwane / Mankweng Hospital Complex (PMHC), where she is also involved in training and supervising
She also has a part-time private practice where she offers psychotherapy, group therapy and psychological assessment.
Mrs Buitendag has a keen interest in hypnotherapy, personality disorders, weight problems and forensic psychology.
She has worked on various criminal and custody cases, and testified in Magistrate's, Regional and High Courts.
Prior to furthering her studies, she worked as a manager in the retail industry where she was involved with staff
training, Industrial relations, productivity and other operational duties.
Professional Bodies/ Associations:
- Registered at HPCSA as Clinical Psychologist – Independent Practice (Reg. No. 0095303).
- Member of PsySSA (& sub-divisions clinical & forensic) and Management Committee of the Limpopo branch.
- Chair & former Secretary of Dept. Clin. Psychology's Ethics Committee, (Limpopo Health & Social Dev) 2009-2011.
- Chair & Vice Chairperson of the Management Committee of Childline Limpopo (2009-2011).
Regular Event Contributions:
- Monthly presentations to MEDUNSA MBChB Medical Students.
- Weekly presentations to Psychiatry Registrars at PMHC.
- Part of Multi-disciplinary team Psychiatric-unit Mankweng Hospital.
- Clinical training and supervision of 1st & 2nd year Masters Degree Clinical Psychology students.
- Clinical day-to-day training and supervision of B-Psych (Psychology Honours) students.
- Inter-departmental presentations to professionals of various government departments (i.e. Social Workers, Nurses, Justice, etc.) and NGO'S at workshops.
- Arranges workshops for Psychologists in Limpopo Province.
- Member of Psycho-Legal Peer Review Group (Pretoria) .
- Presentation at the 4th African Conference on Psychotherapy – World Council for Psychotherapy: African Chapter. 2005
- Training of Red Cross HIV/AIDS & Victim Support Center counselors
- Part of Forensic psychiatric assessment panel (Mankweng Hospital at PMHC) 2009/10.
- Part-time Tutor (Polokwane Campus): Unisa 3rd Year BA students (1999-2001) Research & Dev. Psychology
- Guest speaker at Mokopane FM radio station.
- Published newspaper articles on Psychological issues (Review: local newspaper)
Courses and Seminars Attended
- Evaluation of Child Sexual Abuse Allegations: Best Practices –
(Dr. L. Hartzenberg) Jul. 2011
- 16 Personality Factor Questionnaire – 5th edition - (Jopie van Rooyen & Partners) Jun. 2011
- Parental Alienation Training Workshop – JHB (Dr. R. Duchen & R. Fasser) Nov. 2010
- Psychology in the courtroom – PTA (Prof. G. Labuschagne) Oct. 2010
- PsySSA Congress – Durban, Aug 2010.
- Basics in Psycho-legal work – (Dr. M. Pistorius) Aug. 2010
- Forensic Psychology W/shop – (UNISA: Prof. Swanepoel, Prof. Carstens & Dr. Olivier) Apr. 2010
- Sex Therapy Workshop – (Gareth Hunt) Jul. 2009
- Fundamentals in Psycho-legal Work – (Globallinkage) Mar. 2009
- Latest CBT: Panic Disorder – (Inter-Ed Seminars: Rossouw & Drake) Nov. 2008
- 5th African Conference on Psychotherapy – (World Council for Psychotherapy) Aug. 2008
- Psychiatry Update – Dept.Psychiatry: Polokwane Mankweng Hospital Complex(PMHC) Mar. 2008
- Workshop on Journal Article Writing – (University of Oslo, Norway) Jun. 2007
- Psychiatry Update Workshop – (Department of Psychiatry: PMHC) Jul. 2006
- Gestalt Therapy (Part 1: 2005) (Part 2: 2006) Limpopo Dept. of Clinical & Community Psychology
- 4th African Conference on Psychotherapy – (World Council for Psychotherapy) 2005
- Intermediate Level Training in Ego-State Hypnotherapy -(SASCH) Apr. 2010
- Intermediate Level Training in Medical Hypno-analysis - (SASCH) Oct. 2005
- Intermediate Level Training Ericksonian Hypnotherapy - (SASCH) Oct. 2004
- Elementary Level Training – South African Society for Clinical Hypnosis (SASCH) Aug. 2004
- Psychiatry Update Workshop – (University of the Witwatersrand) Sept. 2004
- Business & Finance Management as well as Industrial Relations courses: 1990 -2001
What's New and Cooking?
Pregnancy & low carb eating
Low carb eating in pregnancy. Is it safe?
By Dr Alison Kamffer
Gout and a low carb diet
Traditionally gout has been associated with a high intake of protein foods such as offal and red meat, leading some to feel that they cannot go onto a ...
Exercise and low carb eating!
They said “it wasn’t possible, it couldn’t be done, it wasn’t physiological”. What are we talking about? Exercise on a low carb diet. ...
This Is Your Body On Anxiety (Infographic)
Anxiety can be brutal. Sleepless nights, racing heart, cold sweats -- all are hallmarks of a condition that afflicts approximately 40 million Americans. ...
Self sabotage and how to overcome it!
What is Self Sabotage, and how does it prevent you from sticking to your eating plan
low carb and your liver
The liver is one of the body’s most amazing organs, as it is the only one that can actually regenerate itself when injured. ...
The Low Carb Conference continued: what about Fats?
As I have already mentioned, the LCHF does not stand for High Fat, but HEALTHY fat, and much of the emphasis of the conference was on what constitutes ...
“They say a picture paints a thousand words. And it was that photo on the left that finally shouted at me to do something about my weight. ...
It is a new year and we all have set our goals on losing weight, getting more exercise, finishing the DIY job we’ve started long ago or straightenin ...
THE LOW CARB HEALTH SUMMIT. Part 2
Day 1 opened with a talk by the Old Mutual health advisor, who outlined the appalling state of not only South Africa’s, but the world’s health, an ...