Zelda Buitendag - Clinical Psychologist
Mrs. Buitendag graduated from University of Limpopo in 2006 with a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology.
She is employed by the Department of Health and Social Development as a Clinical Psychologist and is based
at the Polokwane / Mankweng Hospital Complex (PMHC), where she is also involved in training and supervising
She also has a part-time private practice where she offers psychotherapy, group therapy and psychological assessment.
Mrs Buitendag has a keen interest in hypnotherapy, personality disorders, weight problems and forensic psychology.
She has worked on various criminal and custody cases, and testified in Magistrate's, Regional and High Courts.
Prior to furthering her studies, she worked as a manager in the retail industry where she was involved with staff
training, Industrial relations, productivity and other operational duties.
Professional Bodies/ Associations:
- Registered at HPCSA as Clinical Psychologist – Independent Practice (Reg. No. 0095303).
- Member of PsySSA (& sub-divisions clinical & forensic) and Management Committee of the Limpopo branch.
- Chair & former Secretary of Dept. Clin. Psychology's Ethics Committee, (Limpopo Health & Social Dev) 2009-2011.
- Chair & Vice Chairperson of the Management Committee of Childline Limpopo (2009-2011).
Regular Event Contributions:
- Monthly presentations to MEDUNSA MBChB Medical Students.
- Weekly presentations to Psychiatry Registrars at PMHC.
- Part of Multi-disciplinary team Psychiatric-unit Mankweng Hospital.
- Clinical training and supervision of 1st & 2nd year Masters Degree Clinical Psychology students.
- Clinical day-to-day training and supervision of B-Psych (Psychology Honours) students.
- Inter-departmental presentations to professionals of various government departments (i.e. Social Workers, Nurses, Justice, etc.) and NGO'S at workshops.
- Arranges workshops for Psychologists in Limpopo Province.
- Member of Psycho-Legal Peer Review Group (Pretoria) .
- Presentation at the 4th African Conference on Psychotherapy – World Council for Psychotherapy: African Chapter. 2005
- Training of Red Cross HIV/AIDS & Victim Support Center counselors
- Part of Forensic psychiatric assessment panel (Mankweng Hospital at PMHC) 2009/10.
- Part-time Tutor (Polokwane Campus): Unisa 3rd Year BA students (1999-2001) Research & Dev. Psychology
- Guest speaker at Mokopane FM radio station.
- Published newspaper articles on Psychological issues (Review: local newspaper)
Courses and Seminars Attended
- Evaluation of Child Sexual Abuse Allegations: Best Practices –
(Dr. L. Hartzenberg) Jul. 2011
- 16 Personality Factor Questionnaire – 5th edition - (Jopie van Rooyen & Partners) Jun. 2011
- Parental Alienation Training Workshop – JHB (Dr. R. Duchen & R. Fasser) Nov. 2010
- Psychology in the courtroom – PTA (Prof. G. Labuschagne) Oct. 2010
- PsySSA Congress – Durban, Aug 2010.
- Basics in Psycho-legal work – (Dr. M. Pistorius) Aug. 2010
- Forensic Psychology W/shop – (UNISA: Prof. Swanepoel, Prof. Carstens & Dr. Olivier) Apr. 2010
- Sex Therapy Workshop – (Gareth Hunt) Jul. 2009
- Fundamentals in Psycho-legal Work – (Globallinkage) Mar. 2009
- Latest CBT: Panic Disorder – (Inter-Ed Seminars: Rossouw & Drake) Nov. 2008
- 5th African Conference on Psychotherapy – (World Council for Psychotherapy) Aug. 2008
- Psychiatry Update – Dept.Psychiatry: Polokwane Mankweng Hospital Complex(PMHC) Mar. 2008
- Workshop on Journal Article Writing – (University of Oslo, Norway) Jun. 2007
- Psychiatry Update Workshop – (Department of Psychiatry: PMHC) Jul. 2006
- Gestalt Therapy (Part 1: 2005) (Part 2: 2006) Limpopo Dept. of Clinical & Community Psychology
- 4th African Conference on Psychotherapy – (World Council for Psychotherapy) 2005
- Intermediate Level Training in Ego-State Hypnotherapy -(SASCH) Apr. 2010
- Intermediate Level Training in Medical Hypno-analysis - (SASCH) Oct. 2005
- Intermediate Level Training Ericksonian Hypnotherapy - (SASCH) Oct. 2004
- Elementary Level Training – South African Society for Clinical Hypnosis (SASCH) Aug. 2004
- Psychiatry Update Workshop – (University of the Witwatersrand) Sept. 2004
- Business & Finance Management as well as Industrial Relations courses: 1990 -2001
What's New and Cooking?
Sports Supplements Part 2
Beta-alanine is a non-essential amino acid, but unlike most amino acids, it is not used by the body to synthesize proteins. ...
Sports supplements, are they worth it?
Ideally fitness training involves all 4 kinds of exercise; cardio, anaerobic, strength and core.
If you’re exercising for weight loss, remember that using high-intensity interval training, with breaks in between, will maximize fat burning.
Exercise - does it help me to lose weight?
Interestingly most people make more than 200 decisions about food each day, but of course you are aware of only a few of them. ...
Food Addiction - what to do about it?
Now we have established that food addiction is a very real problem, what do you do about it? Alcohol, nicotine and drugs are not necessary for life, s ...
How to stop smoking
Last week I talked about whether smoking is really so bad, and - yes, it really is! So how to stop? Overcoming an addiction is a challenge, but it ca ...
Is smoking really the 8th deadly sin? Or is it just a bad habit?
Coffee, the morning fix!
Coffee, the morning fix!